Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Singing Bee" Spells Good Singing Fun

I decided early that I was NOT going to watch this show. Possibly my principles had gotten in the way: another stupid gameshow, hosted by Joey Fatone (who I lovingly call Fat One only because his name obviously begs for it), where the singing doesn't count. All of this conceptually sounded like a formula for a loser. But, I was at the gym and stuck with 5 choices of which this show was the best option. From the minute I turned it on, I couldn't stop singing along.

It was simply good, clean, Karaoke-in-my-livingroom FUN. The idea is that contestants sing Karaoke-style but without the words given and must get the song-wording exactly correct to move into the next round. Sounds easy...but it's not. AND you think you won't sing along or get into such a loser-y show...but you will. I was jumping up and down when the first guy won the $50,000 prize at the end of the show.

Joey's great, the contestants have been great, the song selection is good, and the live singers who sing the provided portion of the song are awesome--they've obviously been selected because they sound eerily familiar to the actual artist who made the song great. AND the number of songs to which I've been singing the absolute wrong words is staggering. It gives me a whole new lease on radio-music life.

C'mon...it's on Saturdays which makes me nostalgic for the days when variety shows ruled the weekend nights...just watch it.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Isn't there another singing show, with Wayne Brady. Contrast and compare, please.