Thursday, September 20, 2007

Top Chef--The End Is Near

Thanks to the fact that Bravo reruns Top Chef episodes hourly, I was able to catch the next episode which is the last from the finale. Frankly, I'm still reeling from the fact that CJ was ceremoniously showed the door a couple weeks ago; with him exited my own personal choice for the winner. CJ not only made beautiful food (which I can only assume smelled and tasted delicious) but he was awfully cute and incredibly tall. As a character on an unscripted, competition-based show, CJ was one of my favorite people by far. Anyway, CJs gone and I'm trying to get over it.

So who's left. Hung who possesses in his being the heart of darkness. Casey who's the pretty home-town Texas girl with no classical training. Dale the Chicago, supposedly "edgy" gay chef (we know because he's reminded us hundreds of times) who contributes...well, I'm not sure. It always seems like he should be better than he is. Brian, the chef who only makes fish and generally makes it mediocre...and who's basically a tool. And Sara who is a cheese chef and not really up to snuff.

Here's the problem with this show as I see it at this point: It's boring and not in any way a run for Top Chef. Every week looks more like, "Who sucked bad enough to go home." This week Sara was the one who bit it (for serving raw chicken to the major deans of the French Culinary Institute). She was not a Top Chef.

But the problem is that none of them really are. From here on out I'll root for Casey; she could be the first female winner of Top Chef. BUT...she clearly is not "a top chef." She's just the most likable left. And I HATE THAT in a show that promises amazing things...like Season 1 delivered in Harold.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

You know, I think I'm rooting for Casey, too.

Hung is skilled, but damn.... a little bit of a maniac.

Mohawk man just doesn't seem consistent enough.

The other dude, whose name I don't even know, but who made that green thing for the teachers at the culinary school. Well, I just don't think he'll last.

Sarah is now gone.

So that leaves, to me, Casey. Her last few dishes have looked good. And I agree, it would be nice to see a woman win. But really, in my categorization she really just wins because I don't have a good reason for her NOT to win, as I feel I do with the others.

It will be interesting to see what happens.