Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Kenneth, Where Have You Been All My Life?

I'm not proud to admit that before the Emmy's this year, I really gave Tina Fey's 30 Rock no notice. It wasn't a purposeful neglecting...it was merely a show that fell on a historically bad tv night for me (Thursdays...on which I always have class for 4 hours). But the fact that they were awarded an Emmy made me think that maybe it was time to pay the good folks over at the sitcom about SNL (basically) some attention. So last night, armed with a little sauvingnon blanc and a towel (as it was 90 degrees here) I sat in front of my computer and watched nearly 5 hours of full episodes on line starting at the beginning. And it was good.

This, like The Office, took a little time to catch on probably because it's SO smart that most people don't get it. Tina Fey's Liz Lemon is endearing and real in a world that is built to make money. I'm guessing most of Fey's greatness both in this part and in the writing comes directly from her experience as head writer at SNL--I believed the relationships shown on screen. Alec Baldwin is always a tour de force and he doesn't disappoint here as the corporate-loving executive producer of the show. I was most worried about the Tracy Morgan (on the show Tracy Jordan) part simply because I never warmed to Morgan when he was on SNL. Again, I was surprised--he's incredibly nuanced playing a character that serpentines between hardcore insanity (literally mental illness) and tender moments of lucidity. He's a much better actor in this format than he was in a sketch comedy format.

All of this is great, but Kenneth steals this show. Jack McBrayer brilliantly plays Kenneth the Page, the NBC go-fer for the show. His sweet naivete in the midst of this zany but deeply smart, often sarcastic, writers room scenario provides the perfect foil; his wide-eyed enthusiasm for "the business" that leaves bitter, washed-up stars in its wake keeps things fresh and new--and hysterical. Truth be told, I love Kenneth and and I think he plays a hugely important role in the success of this show.

My only disappointment in this whole thing is Jane Krakowski, replacing one of my SNL favorites Rachel Dratch, as the campy star-now-second-banana to Tracy Jordan. She's had great moments in the sun, including her entire run on Ally McBeal, but sadly times have changed and her character--the one she plays on every show--doesn't. It's the same old, one-dimensional blonde bimbo. Meanwhile, Dratch is making the most of her small character guest spots (the granola-eating cat trainer, the Latina maid hiding in the closet on a stolen yacht) but it still feels like too little compensation for being passed-over for what was her and now is Krakowski's role. Dratch could have given it a lot more.

Otherwise, I've concluded that 30 Rock is, indeed, "must see tv" on Thursday nights and, despite my class schedule, the VCRs warmed up and ready to the task. Watch it. It's good.

No comments: