Friday, August 31, 2007

Blunt Message on Sesame Street

This morning, I was getting ready for school, flipping through morning television, and happened upon Sesame Street. The thing was that I didn't know it was Sesame Street; James Blunt was strumming his now famous (and overplayed) "Angel" song...I actually thought it was MTV. Then I saw Telly (a Sesame Street regular) and immediately became horrified at the thought that little tots tuned in would be told musically that "you're beautiful...but it's time to face the truth...that I'll never be with you...(a heavy message for toddlers) But then I heard this:

I was fascinated on several accounts: 1) I thought the re-imagining of the song was pretty hilarious, including the harmony provided by Telly. 2) I was surprised to see James Blunt, who I don't particularly consider "kid friendly" singing about one of my favorite Euclidian shapes (and I actually wondered if he even knew who Euclid was) and 3) I was horrified that now a whole generation of youngsters would forever hum and sing the melody of that damn "Angel" song which now will invade my dreams for at least the next two weeks.

Clearly times have changed. When I watched Sesame Street as a member of the target audience, we used to sing "The numbers" song (jivey one-two-three-FOUR-five, six-SE-ven-eight-nine-ten...E-LE-VEN-twelve) and other made up tunes. Mine never included a discussion of Euclidian geometry and/or James Blunt. Furthermore, a little investigation told me that this is usual M.O. for sesame street--to have whoever the "it" people of the day are on to either interact with the puppets, sing, or rap, all the while talking about what great friends they are to the residents of Sesame Street.

Honestly, this makes me feel a little dirty. Nothing like marketing music and movies directly to the kids. Maria and Gordon weren't good enough--no, now we have to have Lindsay Lohan on telling the kids that drugs are bad or James Blunt singing about triangles. WHAT IS JAMES BLUNT'S RELATIONSHIP TO TRIANGLES??? This just seems very wrong; let's keep those fertile minds focused on what's important: Celebrity.

Yuck.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Wow.

And wow.


Also? What were all those muppets doing at a gay bar in that one clip? I'd like to see more from that series.

Jacob said...

Which episodes did you watch growing up, besides the lame ones (zing!)? Its been on and on for years, but without the lyric makeover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

kids, believing in things you don't understand is BAD.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you must watch Natalie Portman making omelets and shakes and whatever else for Baby Bear and a giant elephant and whoever else, all, of course, at Hooper's Diner. She sings and everything (with a bit of a raspy voice).