Monday, July 23, 2007

"Saving Grace" Debuts on TNT


So, I was totally pumped about this new show starring Holly Hunter (one of my favorites) as a tough detective haunted by demons from her past called "Saving Grace."

It was hyped and cleverly scheduled to run after "The Closer" which was TNT's huge hit drama of last year starring Kyra Sedgwick. It seems that TNT is becoming the channel of drama series led by quirky-yet-strong female characters who are deeply flawed yet ultimately redeemable on their own merits. But I digress.

A couple things really surprised me about "Saving": First, there was a lot of "God" and "Religion," involved...way more than I expected even though the commercials clearly showed an angel coming to her drunken rescue. Second, I was thrilled by the appearance of Laura San Giacomo (who we know better from Just Shoot Me and the movie Pretty Woman). I always thought she was a better actress than the aforementioned tv show permitted. I think this series confirms it. Third, I was pleased at how natural and normal the women look for their age. Both have wrinkles, freckles, and appear as they have for years. Thank god they've not yet succumbed to the pull of Botox or Dr. 90210.

I don't have much to say about the show right now; I like to take into consideration the whole arc of the show before I judge. But I'll say this: "The Closer" hasn't disappointed yet and my hope is that "Grace" will follow suit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura San Giacomo...don't know what she looks like now, but back in the day I remember thinking her as possessing very...uh, "barbie-like proportions". Loved her in "The Stand" (which to this day remains my favorite made for TV miniseries of all time. Gary Sinese, Ed Harris, Ossie Davis, Rob Lowe, Ringwald, Kareem Abdul Jabar...take a look at the cast list when you get a chance: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108941/fullcredits#cast )

Seems like "The Closer" has spawned a number of clones...would be interested in what you think about "Damages" w/ Glenn Close.

Good thoughts - looking forward to more!

Katie Pacyna said...

I agree, "The Stand" was an excellent mini-series. I'm not a super fan of Gary Sinise (I know, I know...just flog me) but that was the first time I had ever seen Jamey Sheridan (who's now on "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" (and, by the way, his eye-patch is real, not character-driven) who I think is absolutely awesome. And besides, how can I speak ill of the King?

Look for more on "Damages." I'm definitely going to check that out b/c my initial gut reaction is that it will ultimately go too far. We'll see.