Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"Damages" Delivers

Oh. Man. This is going to be an amazing show. Thanks to F/X via corporate sponsorship for bringing the whole hour without commercials. I didn't move off my couch; in fact, I barely breathed. It was just that good.

Let's talk about the writing--amazing television. Just from the first episode, I think this show is really going to give the HBO/Showtime series ("The Sopranos," "Big Love," "Weeds,""Sex and the City") real runs for their money. The story was complicated without being full of its own effort. This first episode was the perfect exposition; it ran very much like a layered, nuanced novel that will unfold slowly and in its own time. I was nervous that this show would seem contrived and would try too hard coming on the heels of such tv successes as "Lost" and "24." I didn't think it did that at all.

But let's also talk about the actors and characters. While this seems to be a plot-driven show, the characters already appear real in the sense that each is complex, flawed, and just understated enough to make the person real. Glenn Close (who I find kind of bizarre and I worried would seem too "hard) was compelling; her Patty Hewes is charming and magnetic while the trailers for upcoming shows reveal her pure ambition-bordering-on-evil. It takes some kinda actress to do that. She was good. I was delighted to see Tate Donovan in a major role--I've loved that guy ever since "Space Camp." Rose Byrne (who's new to me) is the perfect "ingenue" in this case--already things look very bad for poor Ellen Parsons. This cast is packed with famous people . I always like to hope that they're famous for a reason and that'll mean good things for the show.

This show plays like a movie; it'll take all season to figure out exactly what's going on. And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. THANK GOD I've found a suitable replacement for some of my favorite staples that are wrapping up (Kathy Griffin; Little People, Big World).

In case I didn't con you into watching, here's some video that will maybe pull you in:

No comments: